Instructions for PEG-Electrolyte Solution Colonoscopy Preparation
Please re-read all instructions at least 2 days before you begin your colonoscopy preparation.
If you are taking any medications, including aspirin or aspirin-containing products, please discuss with the doctor any additional instructions before beginning this preparation.
You will need to obtain two  Dulcolax (bisacodyl) tablets, which may be included with the prep kit, two  Reglan/metoclopramide tablets, and a half-gallon container of HalfLytely, or a one-gallon container of GoLytely, NuLytely, or CoLyte. Note that individual responses to laxatives may vary. This preparation will cause multiple bowel movements, often within 30 minutes of the first dose. It may, however, take as long as 3 hours to start working. Please remain within easy access to toilet facilities.
Two Days Before Colonoscopy:
Take 2 Dulcolax (bisacodyl) tablets before bedtime two days before the scheduled colonoscopy.
On the Day Before Colonoscopy:
- In the morning, reconstitute the powder with warm water in the original container provided, and then chill the solution in the refrigerator until use later in the day.
- Drink only "clear liquids" all day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. NO SOLID FOODS, MILK, OR DAIRY PRODUCTS ARE ALLOWED! NOTHING COLORED RED OR PURPLE IS ALLOWED!
CLEAR LIQUIDS INCLUDE:
- Strained fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, orange, lemonade, etc.);
- Water, clear broth or bouillon, black coffee or tea;
- Sherbert or Italian ices, plain Jello (no fruit added or included, no toppings);
- Gatorade, Kool Aid, carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks and sodas;
- At 5:30 PM on the night before the examination, take one Reglan tablet;
- At 6:00 PM on the night before the examination, begin the chilled half-gallon or gallon of liquid. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until the entire gallon is consumed.
- If you feel bloated or nauseated before you finish the entire (half) gallon of liquid, take the second Reglan tablet. Finish the entire container of liquid.
On the Morning of the Colonoscopy Examination:
- Have nothing to drink within FOUR  full hours of the examination.
YOU WILL BE GIVEN MEDICATIONS BEFORE THE COLONOSCOPY THAT WILL MAKE YOU DROWSY AFTERWARDS. IT IS NEW YORK STATE LAW THAT SOMEONE MUST PICK YOU UP TO TAKE YOU HOME, WHEN YOU ARE READY TO LEAVE.
Click here for a printer friendly version.